Does Your Business Need Explainer Videos?
Spoiler warning: the answer is probably yes. In today’s online landscape, video content is an absolute must if you want to stand out and compete in the digital space. If you’re still not doing videos, you will soon be looking at a trail of dust as your competitors speed off ahead of you, winning most of the customers along the way. But if you’ve never done video marketing before, you might be wondering where to start. Well, we’ve got 2 words for you: explainer videos. These are fantastic little tools that can kick-start your video marketing and help you see quick results and ROI. But what are explainer videos, and why does your business need one?
Hold On, What Is An Explainer Video?
Ok, before we get carried away, let’s look at what an explainer video actually is. For the most part, it does what it says on the tin – it’s a video that explains something. They are typically fairly short, and give the viewer an outline of what your product is, it’s benefits and how it fits into their life. Without being too waffly. They can be live action, animation, whiteboard animation, or a combination of all 3 if you’re feeling ambitious. Typically a business will do an explainer video for each of their products or services, rather than trying to cover everything in one go. This gives you more time to talk in depth about the products and reduces the risk of the message getting lost in translation.
What’s So Great About Explainer Videos?
Well for a start, 73% of consumers say that they’re more likely to buy a product after watching a video that explains how it works. Interested now? Explainer videos are the perfect hook for unsure buyers, mainly because it helps to demystify exactly what it is they will be buying. They are also great for:
- Direct Communication: Explainer videos give you an easy way to communicate the benefits of your product or service directly with the viewer, without having to worry about all of the extra bits a web page needs to include. Instead, it’s just you, explaining your product and it’s benefits to your customer in a simple, clear way.
- Improving Online Visibility: On average, 88% of visitors stay on websites longer if there is a video there. Since Google’s algorithms reward websites for low bounce rates and length of time users spend on each page, having explainer videos will dramatically improve your visibility in search engines and online in general. And if you host the videos on YouTube, you have double the chances of being found, since it is the world’s second largest search engine.
- Improving Conversion Rates: Conversion is the ultimate aim for business websites, with all efforts put into trying to get prospects to pick up the phone and contact you directly. It’s a tricky art to master, but having a video on your product page has been shown to boost conversion rates by up to 80%, so it’s got to be working somehow!
What Should Be In My Explainer Video?
Ok, so we’re sold on explainer videos. The next question is, how do you know what to put into them? You could just sit in front of a camera and talk about how great your product is, but odds are that wouldn’t perform that well. Luckily, we have a few hints to help you work out what to include in your explainer video, as well as how to structure it:
- The What, The How And The Why: Before you start, make sure you have a killer script for your video. This will make it flow smoothly and ensure you don’t miss any of the key points you want to make. It also means you can drill down to the what, how and why, which are the 3 key elements to an explainer video.
- The Shorter The Better: Keep it short and sweet. Focus on your customers’ needs and how your product/service helps them. And don’t go into sales mode or lots of waffle.
- Create Your Target Audience: Hold your target audience firmly in your mind during these videos, and make sure you’re making the content relevant to them. If you can, create an avatar for the customer during the video (animations are best for this), or refer to them frequently so that they connect with the message.
- Don’t Forget the Call To Action: You’d be amazed how many times this seems to be forgotten. Once you’ve explained your product or service, make sure you tell the viewer what you want them to do next. Whether that’s get in touch with you, download something or click on a specific link, you need to give them that specific instruction in a call to action.
- Branding: And of course – brand it! It’s your video about your product, but that doesn’t mean you can’t include your business branding as well. This gives it a polished, official look, and reinforces your brand identity at the same time.
And one final thing we want to mention is quality. High quality videos generally perform much, much better than low quality ones, and ultimately that’s what you want. A poor quality video will make your customers think your business is poor quality too, and could mean they choose to go elsewhere. And we don’t want that, do we? So investing in a high quality explainer video will boost its performance and generate a more significant ROI for your business.
‘That all sounds great’ I hear you ask, ‘so how do I get one?’. Well, you could give it a crack yourself, but the odds are unless you are a video production company yourself it won’t turn out as well as it could. So if you’re looking for a high quality, professional and polished explainer video that converts leads into customers, come and talk to us. At Swanwood Productions, we specialise in creating these fantastic little videos for our customers, helping them see the benefits of video in their marketing strategy. Your explainer video can take any form you want, and the Swanwood team are here to help at every stage, from script to screen. For more information, just get in touch with us today.